Eugene, Oregon Cannabis Job:82. 1st Time I Bought Legal Weed: Sarah Tupper Co-Founder of Sarah Jane

Tokeativity

Sarah Tupper, co-founder of Sarah Jane

1st Time I Bought Legal Weed.png

Over 80 million women in the U.S. have access to legal cannabis, and we share women’s stories about the first time they bought legal weed.

Today’s episode features Sarah Tupper, co-founder of Michigan-based brand Sarah Jane.

Transcript below.

LISTEN ON APPLE PODCASTS | STITCHER | OVERCAST | POCKET CASTS | SPOTIFY | iHEART

LINKS

Sarah Tupper of Sarah Jane

CREDITS

Host: Ellen Lee Scanlon
Producer: Nick Patri
Brand manager: Madi Fair

TRANSCRIPT FOR DO THE POT EPISODE 82

Sarah Tupper (00:01):

This is Sarah from Sarah Jane just reminiscing about my first time buying cannabis. I laugh because I'm here in Michigan and I went through a known physician kind of underground office here in Michigan to get my medical card. And it was really back alley, back parking lot, paying cash, have this random person sign off on these forms so that you could get your medical card. And this was back before adult use cannabis was legal here in the state. So I got my medical card and was able to bring it in. I remember being so nervous in the parking lot of the dispensary and making sure I had my license and my medical card. And then I knew what I was going to ask, and it felt so bizarre and weird and underground and exciting and nerve-racking because I had used cannabis and smoked weed many times in the past. I had just never purchased it from anywhere that looked like a store.

Sarah Tupper (01:24):

And so I just remember being so nervous and feeling so awkward and not knowing what they were going to ask me. And it ended up being a really calm and comfortable experience. The dispensary was back behind a gas station, I remember that, and I had to drive about 45 minutes to get there because the town that I live in didn't have any medical dispensaries open at the time. And I remember sharing it and telling my friends and just being so excited that we were finally able to have accessibility to this thing that we had so much experience with as teenagers and young adults. And now into my mid 30s, late 30s, finally I'm able to purchase legally. So it was really a revelation and really helped plant the seed for what would become Sarah Jane here in the Midwest. Really exciting and really looking forward to the future of cannabis as well.

View the live link